Re: Some ideas to improve the debian policy

Thank you Joey for answering my mesage.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> > I suggest to split the -dev package for a library
> > (for ej: libgtk-dev) in two separate packages: -headers and -static
> > (in this example: libgtk-dev and libgtk-static). This would allow the
> > user to choose exactly what he needs , and save a lot of disk space
> > (and also download time , when getting the files by ftp)
>
> It's a tradeoff between a small gain for people who are developing with
> the library, and a small loss for people who are not (every new package
> adds to the time people must spend downloaidng Packages files and
> reading through package lists in dselect, capt, and so on).

Instead we could ask the user when installing the library:
"Do you want to install the static version of the library ?"

(there are already packages that ask questions to the user when installing
like for example ftpd)

This could be done by the shell scripts (preinst/postinst) : if the user
answers "no" , we remove the static version.

This would afect only the people that are developing with the library.

Thank you
					Pablo De Napoli
					<pdenapo@dm.uba.ar>