Can't use custom 2.2.x kernel

I'm running an up-to-date woody.  I've got kernel 2.4.0-test8
compiled and running.  Everything works except NFS, which is
very flaky.

I decided to downgrade to 2.2.17.  Everything compiled fine
with kernel-package (I got the sources from kernel-source-2.2.17),
when when I reboot, depmod fails with unresolved symbols to
__generic_copy_to_user, etc.  Almost every module fails to
load because of this.

I tried 2.2.15 with the same results.

The only difference I can think of is that my 2.4.0-test8
sources cames from kernel.org while my 2.2.x sources came
from the Debian archive.  Does that make a difference?

                                -Dave