Re: What is a Kernel?

 Fredrik> Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:
 >> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 09:35:07AM +0200 , Fredrik Liljegren wrote:
 >> > But why, then, is it a separate package, instead of just being the

 >> what is not a separate package? Are you aware of existence of
 >> kernel-patch-<ver> aren't you.

 Fredrik> I'm sorry, I wasn't.  And I agree that it then is a good reason to
 Fredrik> have a separare kernel-source-package instead of jsut using
 kernel-image-> ver>.[dsc with friends].

	I also think that the fact that apt-get, apt-move, apt-proxy,
 dselect, et al. are designed to help me work with .debs, and not
 sources.

	Add to that the fact that there are lots of people who just
 buy the unofficial binary only 3 CD sets of Debian (and, in thrird
 world countries, that may well be all you can afford), it is nice to
 have a debian oatched kernel source package on the CD (ever tried
 downloading kernel sources over a 19.-28.8 connection in a counrty
 like india where the phone service is, umm, less than desired?)

	I think the increased load on the servers, space on the
 servers and CD's are more than offset by the advantages we get
 (espesdcially the kernel patching facility).

	manoj
--
 Memory fault -- brain fried