Re: I want to try something for freedom.

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> In Thu, 2 Nov 2000 10:29:38 -0500 mheyes@lincolnfp.com cum veritate scripsit :
>
> > DeCSS on Linux effectively disbles, as part of the decryption process, the
> > zone controls on the the dvd disc. This allows someone in Finland, say,  to
> > watch a dvd he purchased in the United States (or some other zone). This is
> > what I meant when I said that it has more to do with a loss of distribution
> > control. The MPAA loses the ability to control the timing of dvd releases
> > in other zones.
>
> This is bogus.
>
> Even if zones were strictly controlled (as it is not ... for example,
> some Sony playstation 2's  had a "bug") one can buy a DVD-player from another country
> and use it. As simple as that.

No need for that either. Current DVD-players are autolocking. They check
the first 5 DVDs inserted, and lock on the region which has majority in
the 5. I don't know what happens, if one puts 5 discs, all with different
regions in the set, or are there less than 5 regions (I seem to remember
there being 6?)

Regards,

Robert Varga