Re: RFC: initscript policy proposal

On Fri, 03 Nov 2000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:57:43AM -0200, Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > file-rc is sysv-like. I mean something much more exotic, such as an
> > initscript subsystem capable of dynamically fetching the init script from
> > somewhere else. invoke-rc.d allows that sort of stuff to be implemented if
> > invoke-rc.d is the only allowed way to call initscripts.
>
> *shrug* We don't have anything like that, so it's not realy relevant.

Well, I don't design anything without thinking a bit about the future. Also,
it is much cleaner to use (and mandate) a single interface, so all
initscript calls should be done through invoke-rc.d.

Give me a very good reason to change it, or leave it alone.

> > > I don't really think it's a good idea to call maybe-restart for scripts
> > > that don't implement it.
> > The initscript should just output an error if it is given an unsupported
> > action; if it does anything else, that's a bug.
>
> Well, yes, but we shouldn't have random errors occuring all the time in
> normal use.

If you don't want any error messages from both invoke-rc.d and the
initscript, use a ">& /dev/null" as people commonly do when calling
update-rc.d.

I am not about to implement a worse technical solution because it happens to
generate error messages (which are very easy to redirect to /dev/null) when
a maintainer script tries to restart something out-of-runlevel. They are not
even spurious, invoke-rc.d warns the user about what it is going to try
doing.

> ie, not having any "fallback" options, just always translating invoke-rc.d
> foo blah to /etc/init.d/foo blah or a no-op, depending on runlevel.

I can only take restart-if-running (AKA maybe-restart) out IF, and only IF a
warning is added to policy that you must never ever use restart (use stop;
start instead) to control a service which must not be left untouched by an
upgrade.

I don't think this is as cost-effective as the error message, though.

What I could do, is to make sure no output gets to the screen due to a
failed initscript *fallback* attempt (and add a --debug switch to block this
behaviour). However, I suspect this is far more risky than to just output
error messages, so I don't like the idea at all.

  Henrique Holschuh