Re: webcalendars

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> I am wondering, if anybody knows a package in Debian, which implements a web
> calendar with group functionality. Since I could not find anything, I checked
> freshmeat.net and found lots of packages. If anybody wants to package one, the
> most advanced have been (all GPL)
>
> http://www.achievo.com/ (php3, mysql)

OK, let's suppose you're packaging this one. Then you have to depend
on Apache too. What URL would you put it under? "/achiveo"? What if it's
been configured away from htdocs/? What if mod_rewrite is used for
terminfo-like hashing, so it's really searched for under htdocs/achiveo?

and so on, and so on.

Bottom line: Debian is not yet ready for packaging of web applications

I wouldn't fault Debian, but rather the fact that web applications are
not yet ready for hassle-free distribution.
(How come most applications work with ./configure;make;make install, while
each web application is "put this here, that there, change this to point
to that, etc."?)

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez