Re: AIDE "atime in future" false alarms

Hi Rami,

thanks for replying.

On 29 Oct 2000, Rami Lehti wrote:

> The fact that aide complains about wrong timestamps is a feature and
> not a bug.

I don't think I've said that. An if I did, let me correct myself:

Although the "a" rule is not specifically set in the "Binlib" custom
rule, AIDE acts as if it was, and reports the above mentioned alarms.

> IMHO aide should always complain about broken timestamps regardless of
> what the config file says.

Well, IMHO:

  * aide advertizes "a" as a configurable option:

    # Here are all the things we can check - these are the default rules
                                 ^^^
    #
    #m:      mtime
    #a:      atime
    #c:      ctime

  * my interpretation of "default" is there should be a way to override
    the "default" behaviour; if it doesn't I would call it "compulsory";
    when I said "Do I smell some sort of bug here?", this is what I was
    referring to.

  * further down in the aide.conf:

    # Custom rules
    Binlib = p+i+n+u+g+s+b+m+c+md5+sha1

  * I fail to see any trace of an "a" rule

  * would a "-a" work?

> The problem in my opionion is not with aide but with the clock
> settings on your machine.

I couldn't agree more. Though, the clock ain't broken. What _is_ broken
is that unspeakable os joke .

> BUT, if you would like you could write a nice clean patch for
> configuration option to turn off warning of invalid timestamps for
> attributes that are ignored.

I DO NOT want to turn off the invalid timestamps warnings. The only
thing I want is a way to cope with certain limitations that are imposed
on me (broken os sort of things).

An now back to my question:

Is there a way to make it _not_ bother about atime stamps (and only
atime time stamps) on that particular directory tree?

Cheers,
Cristian

--
Be careful, life will kill you.