Re: Faster 'dpkg -s'?

(this is an old thread, but since I think my ISP was blocked by ORBS
this email didn't made it, I hope my ISP isn't blocked by ORBS
anymore...).

	Hello.

Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 04:12:36PM -0700, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> > > I see (at least) two possibilities:
> > >
> > > 1.  dpkg -s $PACKAGE
> > >
> > > 2.  sed -n -e "/^Package: $PACKAGE$/,/^$/p" < /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >
> > Install dlocate.
> Or grep-dctrl.
	Ok, then:
		1 - eliminate dpkg -s and dpkg -l functions from dpkg and tell people
to use other tools.
		2 - improve -s and -l functions from dpkg.

	I don't understand why it has to be so slow and other tools can do it
faster (ok, APT has its own highly optimized binary database), but that
sed trick uses *the same* database of dpkg, it is a generic tool, and
yet, it can do it faster than dpkg!
	Ok, don't worry, I am a lamer and yet without time to investigate...
but please, someone try to explain me why it has to be so slow (I think
that there should be a reason)...

	It would be nice to have alternative faster versions of this flags
directly from dpkg, at least (if it isn't so nice to replace the
existing flags...). And if anyone puts its hands at it, it would be nice
to add a modifier to the -l option to specify the length of the lines
(obviously, adapting some of the columns to a bigger/smaller size).

	Well, just suggestions and a petition for an explanation...
	Thanks and goodbye to everybody!
--
Ivan Baldo:
lubaldo@adinet.com.uy - http://members.xoom.com/baldo.1 - ICQ 10215364

(If you have problems with the previous addresses, try this ones:
ibaldo@usa.net, http://go.to/ibaldo).