Re: Why is /var/cache/man/ sgid root?

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 11:52:46PM -0400, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Sorry if this is a totally boneheaded question, but after a recent
> upgrade, I got an auto-email from sxid about the /var/cache/man/*
> hierarchy being sgid root. Is this normal? I've never noticed this
> before...

only the directories are setgid root, all this does is cause all
files/directories created there to have group root ownership instead
of whatever primary group the user invoking man is.  new directories
not only inherit group root but also setgid.  files never get the
setgid bit.

> Yes, I'm paranoid, but the thought of my data files potentially being lost
> due to system compromise is not particularly pleasant... (mode 2755).

setgid directories are not a security threat, its simply a way to
revert to BSD behavior for group ownership.  (in bsd files/directories
are created with whatever group the parent directory has)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/