Re: ITP Delayed [Re: ITP: jazz++ -- a full sized MIDI sequencer]

You don't have to agree with jazz developers. You just
have to agree with the license. I'm fond of the "release early,
release often" rather than "wait for developers' inspirational
epochs". THe more a program's distributed, the more people
will use it, test it and fix it.

This is volunteer work, people don't work on deadlines.
So I think it's okay to wrap up an old lib in the
jazz package if the program's worth it. I remember
that it was a good midi program, I'd even thought of
using it but unfortunately I have no good midi synth to
check it. (mabbe i can run yamaha's soft xg on the other
computer, and then output from the linux box.. hmmm)

I did the same with sourcenav because of the same situation
(it uses an old version of itcl that's been hacked). So
the situation is:
  * there's a program that'd better get to people
  * the program depends on an old version of a package in debian
  * the version that the program uses is not forward-compatible

There are two things you can do
  * port the code to debian version
  * wrap up the old version with the package

If porting is too difficult, the second option is the way to go.

You don't have to make that library another package. Just do this

the wxwindows go into....
/usr/lib/jazz++

(include, bin, ... under that)

If the programs use a GNU style build system, it shouldn't be
hard to get that right. (./configure --prefix=/usr/lib/jazz++
or something like that for the most part) If you get stuck
I think you can ask for help here.

Keep hacking,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural