Re: Comments on FHS testsuite run

-- Just a quick remark, so I left all ccs

Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Wichert Akkerman writes:
> > * Reference 3.4-30: /etc/hosts.lpd not found
> >   Reason: bug in Debian
> >
> >   Looks like a real bug. lprng uses /etc/lprng/lpd.conf instead so this only
> >   applies to machines using lpr.
>
> I'm not sure about this.

Neither am I sure it should be mandatory. /etc/hosts.lpd is a
file describing which other hosts may print via this host's
printer daemon (or rather spool via this host's spooling daemon).

This host may not run an lpd, or may run a spooling service,
and both accept and send out files via SMB to a printer. In the
first case /etc/hosts.lpd is redundant, in the second it is
misleading if existing, as the actual validation is in the
samba configuration files.

We probably should have more of the files defined in the form
"if the service or daemon such-and-suc is installed, the file
such-and such defines its configuration", while explicitely
addressing what the non-existence of the file means.

                                Thomas

*   Why not use metric units and get it right first time, every time ?
*
*   email: cmaae47 @ imperial.ac.uk
*   voice: +4420-7594-6912 (day)
*   fax:   +4420-7594-6958
*   snail: Thomas Sippel - Dau
*          Linux Services Manager
*          Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
*          The Center for Computing Services
*          Exhibition Road
*          Kensington SW7 2BX
*          Great Britain