Re: Maybe ITP: linuxtips - "Tip of the day"-Message-Viewer.

On Tuesday 24 October 2000 18:38, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 11:33:18AM +0200, Daniel Migowski wrote:
> > btw. the only thing to make realize this package lies now in a convention
> > where to put the tips (I favor /usr/doc/TIPS).
>
> Not only is that path not FHS-compliant, but you need to 86 the caps.

I just read through the FHS-Manual V2.0 and there is nothing mentioned about
/usr/doc/.
Those tips are not dynamically changed, so they can be considered static
data, as they are only changed through the administrative process of an
update (vs. variable data, which should not reside in /usr). They can be
shared through multiple hosts (vs. local), which makes /usr/ a good
candidate, too.

The verb 86 isn't in my vocabulary, but if it means to lowercase, you might
be right.

But before putting someone off, I will place the tips in /usr/share/tips.
Branden, please send me the suggestion of one, who worked on linux, when men
were men and edited their termcaps by hand :).

Daniel Migowski