Re: Diff between Helix/Debian GNOME (was Re: Helix debian package s)

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 05:36:42PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 01:05:16PM -0400, Peter Teichman wrote:
> > The major features that have gone into Helix GNOME have been moved
> > into the upstream sources, like the Menu Panel.
>
> FWIW Peter, I have complaints about that particular feature.  One area of
> specialty for me is interface design.  (This is probably not completely
> unusual given my unique experiences and qualifications..)

I don't like it at all. I don't use one. :)

> The Menu Panel serves a very useful and interesting purpose.  For most
> tasks, I would greatly prefer it to the traditional panel plus foot menu.
> However there are a number of things that feel "wrong" about it from an
> interface design perspective.  It lacks a lot of the integration and
> consistancy that Helix has been striving for.  It's also not very
> configurable.

The configurability issue is known - the menu panel was a weekend
hack, and nearly everything is hardcoded.

> To whom should I direct my complaints and ideas?  The menu panel is a
> great idea which I feel could use a better implementation.  I'm not sure I
> can contribute much code at this time - I have a lot on my plate just now,
> but perhaps the right ideas tossed in the direction of the right people
> might be all that's necessary.

Well, Jacob Berkman <jacob@helixcode.com> added the feature. You might
want to get in touch with him, or bring up the issue on gnome-list.

Peter