Re: OT: Linux/BSD package managers under (gasp!) Solaris ...

Hi.

Russell Coker schrieb:
> [...]

2.5.1 to whatever is current here.

> >> I am in the same situation.  I am prepared to contribute some time towards
> >> porting dpkg/dselect to Solaris.  I don't have enough time available to do
> >> all the work myself though.

I'll get 2.5.1 on monday, and begin hacking the rules files
for the toolchain (gcc and dependencies, perl (pulls in
debhelper, devscripts and stuff, dpkg, (apt)).

I want to have a $(prefix) variable in all packages, in order to
change the install location at build time. I'll build for
/debian/ myself, and try to isolate this completely. There will
be only few packages installing something into /, sysvinit for
example (probably this will become a seperate package). I'll
probably need a SunOS-2.5.1 package with all the shlibdeps files
for libc, openwindows and every other lib from solaris we link
against (if we don't use our own libc in /debian. Has anybody
got an idea which could be easier?).

At the moment I just want to get it build packages though ...

I dug up some reports in the d-devel archive about dpkg working fine
on solaris, but dselect and start-stop-daemon not compiling.
Probably there is some work needed. The dselect problem seems to
be with curses, and may be compiling against a ncurses that we
can provide it'll work. (Sorry, no link, but there were no
specifics AFAIR).

> >I've got a Solaris 8 box I can use to work on this, but unfortunately I
> >cannot put on the net.  Can anyone give tips about how to get started?
> >E.g. what all should we port?  How should we bootstrap the install if
> >dpkg/apt?  (With a Solaris pkgadd, perhaps?)

My box is only a 2 processor Sparc10, sitting behind an
autodialer ISDN link. I could put some of my work onto my
webpage though (quota around 30M). Probably we all should keep
in touch, in order to see what needs work.

> We should all try playing with this independantly.  We can send the patches
> to the Debian maintainers who should be happy to accept them.

½ of the things I have to change are bugs in the first place, no
problem to include them into debian proper there, but the stuff
directly related to $(prefix), though not much in most packages,
should not go into debain proper right now.

May be, if this whole prefix stuff works out well (it's an
experiment after all), I'll post some kind of RFC to d-policy,
and this could become a requirement for non platform specific
packages in woody+1. [god, am I still stoned?]

Hey, William Lee Irwin III <wli@holomorphy.com>, have you
already done any any work on the 'build time relocation' thing,
and might know something I would want to know as well?

> >If things go well, AIX 4.3.3 is next!

> Yep.

And probably much easier once we did solaris. Anybody interested
in IRIX?

ciao, 2ri
--
0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?