Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   One note: I've totally changed my position on this point :) and would rather
> throw away most of the extra tags like Currency and User-interface and simply
> use keywords.  (note, btw, that UI isn't mutually exclusive)  If special
> tools need some of these attributes (eg: main/contrib/non-free) they could
> remain separate but be parsed as additional categories.

A multiply inherited category hierarchy handles all of this.

Think UI and use:

       User_Interface     Internet         Sound   Compression
       /     |               |                 |  /
      /      |               |                 | /
     /       |             Sharing_Network    MP3
 Console_UI  X_Win_UI           \            /
            /  \                 \          /
           /    \                MP3_Sharing
         Gtk_UI  Qt_UI            /
         /        \              /
       Gnome_UI   KDE_UI        /
        |                      /
         \________________    /
                          \  /
                         [gnome-napster]

[You can drop all _UI suffixes here, it's evident that they're specializations
of UIs since they are a subcategory of User_Interface. That is, they are
specific User_Interfaces anyway so you don't have to put _UI in their name to indicate
that they are UI categories]

       User_Interface     Internet         Sound   Compression
       /     |               |                 |  /
      /      |               |                 | /
     /       |             Sharing_Network    MP3
 Console     X_Win              \            /
            /  \                 \          /
           /    \                MP3_Sharing
         Gtk     Qt               /
         /        \              /
       Gnome      KDE           /
        |                      /
         \________________    /
                          \  /
                         [gnome-napster]

This is a subgraph of the hierarchical categorization. Note that this is not
a tree :) (All arcs upwards here) Nodes are categories, arcs are is-a relations as
before, here gnome-napster is in categories Gnome and MP3_Sharing.

>   There are a few things that I'm not sure can be done with this system, so
> I'm not totally sold on it, but it looks like it might be easier to tweak
> this than to do anything else.  (eg: I don't see offhand how to get both
> programming/editors and editors/programming, both containing the same items)

I already showed it in an example to you how to get devel/editors and editors/devel
with a graph.

      User_Proggy                 Development_Tool
       *                              *
      /                               |
    Editor                     Developers_Editor
      *                            /
      |___________________________/

Here, Developers_Editor category is a subcategory of Editor and Development_Tool
Categories. This gives us what we want, all such editors (used for devel) are simply of
Developers_Editor category. A caveat about naming though: the name here
resembles too much to devel/editor but this is no coincidence, just a regularity
in natural language. What I mean is, the name may look long and inappropriate
for a category but it is.

Note: There was a small mistake in the original graph, I've corrected it here.
(Bogus relation: Editor ---is-a--* Developers_Editor)

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr