Re: More things about the toolchain: ldconfig doesn't create libf oo.s o links anymore?

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 05:01:29PM -0700, Yves Arrouye wrote:

> > It is not supposed to.  It is supposed to create the .1 symlink, which
> > it will if it's missing.
> >
> > The .so link should come from the appropriate -dev package.
>
> !@&$*^!@)(*&$ me. I carefully deleted the .so from my -dev package :(
>
> Should I keep all the links in my package, or just
>
> 	/usr/lib/libfoo.so.1.7
> 	/usr/lib/libfoo.so -> libfoo.so.1.7
>
> and let ldconfig do the .so.1?

All of this information is in the Packaging Manual, Chapter 12 "Shared
Libraries".  This section details how to organize the contents of shared
library packages.  You should read it thoroughly before going any further.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/packaging.html/ch-sharedlibs.html

If you feel that the information there is ambiguous or doesn't answer all of
your questions, consider filing a bug against the 'packaging-manual' package to
have it expanded or clarified.

There is some more information in the Policy Manual, section 4.3 "Shared
Libraries":

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch4.html#s4.3

This section discusses how to break down libraries into packages, and directs
you to the Packaging Manual.

--
 - mdz