Re: What is a Kernel?

On 2000-10-12 09:10, Colin Mattson wrote:
>> What we need is some /etc/alternatives-like interface to kernels, and
>> have people installing kernels from .debs. They can still compile
>> themselves -- apt-get source, make config, make debian package and
>> install.
>
>As someone already pointed out, that facility does exist already.
>But for simplicity's sake, it's almost pointless.  It's faster (and simpler)
>to just do a make config/deps/bzlilo than it is to config and then build a
> deb out of it.  Offering the ability to do You-Do-It Debified Kernels is
> nice, but the second we force people to do that, it's a problem.  ("If it
> ain't broke, don't fix it" -- you can compile kernels without packaging
> them now, so I don't see a real reason to do it any other way)

Actually it's faster to run my script that does the following:
fakeroot make-kpkg --revision=$1 kernel_image 2>kern.err | tee kern.out
fakeroot make-kpkg modules_image 2>mod.err | tee mod.out

Then I get two nice .deb packages that I can install on other machines when
they have been found to work well.  Also I keep archives of old kernel
packages I used to I can install one from weeks ago if the one I'm currently
using turns out to be buggy.

As for the kernel being automatically upgraded, use a revision number >1000
and there's no risk of that.