What is a Kernel?

I was horrified to find out that the kernel is "Required". The official
reason is "well, people compile kernels themselves". Well, people might
compile fileutils themselves, too. I think the packaging system has a big
problem with understanding kernels.

What we need is some /etc/alternatives-like interface to kernels, and
have people installing kernels from .debs. They can still compile
themselves -- apt-get source, make config, make debian package and
install.

Since it is provided for all stable kernels anyway, it should pose no
problems in that area. Anyone who is using a development kernel can
probably live with the fact he is cheating his debian system.

Of course, that is not the only way to solve this problem.

Any thoughts?

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.