Re: What is a Kernel?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Russell Coker wrote:

> Then I get two nice .deb packages that I can install on other machines when
> they have been found to work well.  Also I keep archives of old kernel
> packages I used to I can install one from weeks ago if the one I'm currently
> using turns out to be buggy.
>
> As for the kernel being automatically upgraded, use a revision number >1000
> and there's no risk of that.

But we still don't have a /etc/alternatives-like interface to lilo.
Think about it this way:
kernel-2.2.17 provides kernel
kernel-2.2.15 provides kernel

I want to be able to switch kernels with update-alternatives. Of course,
it will require a reboot -- but at least it doesn't require me to lie
to the Debian packaging system. And the next time a kernel will break
pppd, it is possible to just have a Conflicts: ppd (<<2.2) or something,
and apt will take care of it automatically.
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.