Re: Inconsistent Architecture?

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:16:34PM +0200, Arthur Korn wrote:
> Thomas Bushnell, BSG schrieb:
> > > Would be especially useful for things like:
> > >
> > > 	Architecture: !hurd-i386
> > >
> > > For Linux, only things.
> >
> > No, those things should really have
> >
> > Architecture: linux
> >
> > since if we have a Debian that uses the BSD kernel...
>
> In fact something like this would be needed if we port to
> solaris, IRIX and AIX (hint: ironically) as well:
>
> Kernel: ((!)?(linux|hurd|bsd|solaris|irix|aix))+
> Architecture: ((!)?(i386,ia64,sparc,ppc,alpha,mips,mips-el,arm,hppa,s390,m68k,sh,majc,z80,whatever))

Almost there. First, the canonical name for the Hurd system is GNU, but we
missed that chance for consistency. Anyway, here is what we need:

any
all
linux-{all, any, i386, ... }
hurd-{all, any, i386, ... }

Not to speak of the few packages being all-i386 (for eample GRUB etc)
(I don't know of any example for any-i386 though, doesn't make much sense)

This would be a major improvement, and so easy to implement. It would still
be a kludge: The real solution is to replace architectures with
dependencies, as laid out in my short article on architectures and packaging
systems, where I don't have the link ready currently.

Thanks,
Marcus