Re: Debian and LDAP?

* Roland Bauerschmidt in "Re: Debian and LDAP?" dated 2000/10/11 09:33
* wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:26:59PM -0500, Ashley Clark wrote:
> > * Ian Eure in "Debian and LDAP?" dated 2000/10/09 18:45 wrote:
> >
> > > 3. there are no tools for creating and maintaining users in an
> > > ldap database. this is the biggest problem, imo. login, passwd,
> > > chfn, chsd and su are all pam-ified, but user{add,del} and
> > > group{add,del} aren't.
> >
> > File a wishlist bug against passwd
>
> No! As Ben stated already the package passwd provides the shadow
> tools which purpose is to edit the shadow files. I intended to
> implement a reverse PAM feature like this for adduser 4, but at the
> moment I am lacking out of time :-(

Well, that was posted before Ben responded and before I knew what the
state of LDAP was in Debian. Regardless, simply submitting a wishlist
bug should be something people should feel free to do anytime they want
(within reason, of course).

I've heard the argument given by Ben (and agree with it) but the
package description of passwd gives no indication that it is only for
shadow files or that it only provides shadow tools:

Package: passwd
Version: 19990827-20
 This package includes passwd, chsh, chfn, and many other programs to
 maintain password and group data.
 .
 Shadow passwords are supported.  See
 /usr/share/doc/passwd/README.Debian

If it is intended to support only the shadow system, perhaps it should
be changed.

Anyway, this is very petty and I look forward to adduser 4 with all of
its enhancements, keep up the good work.

--
chalk slayer