Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 01:19:39PM +0200, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:
> W. Borgert wrote:
> > Thanks, I read it but I still don't understand it.  It is clear
> > for me that Debian does not place any files under /usr/local/.
> > My proposal was not to change this!  If we say, only the sysadmin
> > is allowed to put files under /usr/local/, do we also say she
> > isn't allowed to use advanced tools to place files there?  But
> > if we allow the sysadmin to put files under /usr/local/ using
> > advanced tools, why shouldn't it be dpkg.  Note: As I wrote in
> > my other mail, I think the /var/lib/dpkg database should not be
> > involved, if files under non-standard directories are placed!

> Well, actually, I built packages for /usr/local myself (limited
> general use, restricting licenses a.s.o.). I tweaked the installation
> by debhelper to accept my paths. It was not too difficult, but
> could have been better. So I filed wishlist bug reports against
> debhelper and lintian, to work with /usr/local too. The points raised
> in the discussion were essentially the same as the ones you read.
> Hence, I'm still using the procedure for some programs :-), but there
> will be no support from the distribution.

OK, my idea was not to allow packages that are built
for /usr/local or other non-FHS directories, but to
allow dpkg to place standard packages there.  Of course
without interaction with the /var/lib/dpkg database,
because that would lead to strange results.  Nevertheless,
the discussion shows me, that it would be a huge task
to allow /usr/local installation and don't have the time
or the knowledge to do it.  I just forget it. :-)

Cheers,
--
W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>