Re: [OT] Which scripting language for physicist?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 03:30:12PM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > I told him that python, tcl/tk, or perl would do the job for him,
> > he chose python because of the high-quality online docs. However,
> > I'm not that sure. I'd like to hear your opinion.
>
> python is quite popular with physicists and other scientists.  Several labs run
> lots of python.

As long as it's only serial and parallel instruments. If it's GPIB/HPIB
or VXI instruments, it will probably require C, because of the I/O
libraries needed. (Maybe you could use swig to interface the libraries
to Perl/Tcl/Python/etc, but last time I tried, that's UNIX-only.)

Hamish