Re: New libc6 breaks exim?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:31:24PM -0400 , Ben Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:50:47PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > > Furthermore, I think we must follow whatever RedHat has done here, or
> > > bully them into adding versioning.. If our libdb.* libraries do not have
> > > the same symbols as theirs do then we have lost inter-dist binary
> > > compatibility.
> >
> > Well I think following redhat's lead no matter how broken is a very bad
> > path to go down. Raise a stink instead.
>
> Redhat does neither of the things suggested. Instead, they have a

it uses glibc-2.1.3 db2. So you can say, they've added symbols to db2

> compat-lib package that basically copies around the old RH 6.2
> libdb.so.[23]. IOW, they aren't compiling it anymore. They are copying it.

db2 package doesn't look like only a  compatibility lib

> With our policy, we can't do anything like this.

there is source for it in the redhat archive, so it can be recompiled, I'd
think.

				Petr Cech
P.S. their ldconfig doesn't segfault on me
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

* Joy sees a potato running down the street and shouting "I'm late! I'm late!" ;))