Re: NMU's for glibc 2.1.94

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 07:38:01PM -0400 , Ben Collins wrote:
> > It sounds like the new glibc/libdb2 should not claim to be compatible
> > with the previous versions...
>
> You haven't been reading. There is NO db2 in glibc, nor db1 nor any db of
> any kind and longer. This is the problem becuase hundreds of things are
> compiled against it from 2.1.[0123]. Now, for 95% of packages, simply using
> the libdb2 package without recompile is just fine.
>
> However, somethings in glibc's OLD db libs were versioned symbols. Well,
> libdb2 does not use symbol versioning, and thus it breaks. Most of the

so, couldn't we just patch the libdb2 to have those needed symbols also
vesioned? They wouldn't be used when compiling, but only to satisfy the
linker (dunno if it's possible and how hard that would be).

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<rmtZzz> The guy may know awk like the back of a dingo, too.