Re: New libc6 breaks exim?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 21:01:24 -0400 (+0000), Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   Just a heads-up -- I upgraded to the new libc6 version, and exim started
> refusing to accept SMTP connections from fetchmail. [1] I'm not sure what the
> issue is exactly, but when running /usr/sbin/sendmail manually some non-fatal
> errors are displayed about libdb2.so.  (if I manage to track it down more I'll
> file a bug report--right now I don't even know whether it's a problem with
> exim or with libc6)
>
>   So if you use exim, you might want to at least dpkg-repack your old libc
> before upgrading, or demonstrate that I don't know what I'm talking about ;-)..
>
>   Daniel
>
>   [1] Thank God for procmail, which lets me at least sort of get my email..

The problem AFAIK is that exim squirts error messages down the SMTP
connection to fetchmail.  fetchmail then goes "bleah"  and quits.  Just
filed a bug against exim stating this.  A quick test via "telnet localhost
25" works fine.

well - it would except that my box can't resolve localhost :(   IP address
work, "gryphon" works, but localhost is no go. strace doesn't even think
it's groking /etc/hosts.  Wierd.

Adrian

Email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing. GPG/PGP keys available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-  By professionals for professionals  -*-  www.debian.org