Re: New `dpkg --print-subarchitecture' option

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > as `dpkg --print-installation-architecture' seems a fairly common way
> > to determine the architecture!
>
> I'm extremely tempted to remove that code from dpkg 1.7.. I'll
> definitely remove it before woody releasses.

On my system, a sizable number of postinst scripts (12) use that option.
How do you plan to not break all such packages?

Also, I use it as follows in dpkg-repack:

        # Add an Architecture: field
        if (!$arch) {
                $arch=`dpkg --print-installation-architecture`;
                chomp $arch;
        }
        $info.="Architecture: $arch\n";

Should I be using something else, like dpkg-architecture, instead?

--
see shy jo