APM (was Re: hardware-screensaver: dpms)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:
> i do have apm compiled in, but only the poweroff at shutdown turned
> on.  if it makes a difference i don't know.  (im not sure why i even
> bother with that powerdown thing, i have not rebooted my machine in
> 105 days much less shutdown...)

Well, kernel APM config does have a "blank console through APM" option or
something like that, which I like to enable just in case it's required to
get the VESA DPMS interface (which on some videoboards will disable the
pixel clock and output drivers, and let the board itself cool down) instead
of the limited vsync/hsync tricks.

Also, I've found that the computer runs MUCH cooler and eats up less power
if I leave APM enabled and configure the kernel to make APM idle calls...

  Henrique Holschuh