Re: possible problem with dpkg-genchanges

On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 10:12:20PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Greg Stark wrote:
> > Having read the dpkg-genchanges source code I can't imagine how this kind of
> > discrepancy can arise. There's no Extra-Size header in the fetchmail control
> > file or anything weird like that.
>
> The problem is a difference in filesystem blocksize, and so far nobody
> has come up with a good solution to this problem.
>
> A nice demostration of the problem is libc6, where Installed-Size is
> off by a nice 3Mb.

Perhaps Installed-Size should be in a canonical form, unbiased by the
filesystem configuration on the build system.  Perhaps a raw byte count, or a
block count based on the most common blocksize,  with a caveat that actual
filesystem usage will be somewhat different.

Once the .deb has been downloaded, the actual filesystem usage can be
calculated from the contents before installing.

--
 - mdz