Re: Release-critical Bugreport for September 22, 2000

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 05:15:07AM -0500, BugScan reporter wrote:
> Package: libtool (debian/main)
> Maintainer: Ossama Othman <ossama@debian.org>
>   57087  libtool does not support interdependencies between un-installed shared libraries.

This should be fixed once libtool 1.4 is released.  I don't have time
to backport the 1.4 updates.

>   66135  libtool_1.3.5-1(unstable): wrapping of binaries fails with -D__LIBTOOL_IS_A_FOOL__

I contacted the rest of the libtool team regarding this issue, and
received the following response from Alexandre Oliva of the libtool
team:

--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
On Sep  6, 2000, Ossama Othman <ossama@ece.uci.edu> wrote:

> # Patch the generated libtool to avoid passing -rpath when linking,

IIRC, this is no longer necessary in libtool 1.3.5; it won't pass
-rpath /dir if /dir is searched by default.
--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------

The long term solution appears to be the removal of the canonical
Debian libtool hack from all Debian packages that use it.  Hopefully
I'll have time to come up with a short term solution within the next
few days.

Please CC me any replies.

Thanks!
-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <ossama@ece.uci.edu>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine