Re: Which task package installs gpm?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 10:47:05AM +0200, Bernard ISAMBERT wrote:
> David Starner wrote:
> > [...]
> > If you have a 200 MB harddisk, then I suggest you handpick your packages
> > carefully. If you don't like Unix's editors, then perhaps you don't want
> > to be using Unix.
>  The only Unix's editor I know is vi. Emacs is a Free-BSD/Linux editor.
> Great thing, certainly, but useless for Unix people. And so, wasting
> disk space.

You do realize Emacs predates the free Unixes by several years, right?

> 100 MB are 100 MB, even on a 20GB disk.

If you actually care about .5% of your diskspace, then get off your ass
and do something about it. console-apt will sort all your packages by
installed size if you need.

Look, a few years ago, a 1.5 MB libc and a 6.5 MB X toolkit would have
made a computer practically unusable. Times change. If you have the space,
you might as well use it.

> > If you want Windows, you know where to find it. If you want a fine
> > programming enviroment, a stable system that rewards learning and patience,
> > then Debian offers that. If you want a server, here we are.
>   Sure, Debian is good. But the question is: how could it be better?

Not by pandering to the Windows converts. (Nor, may I add, by making it
gratitious un-userfriendly.) Always remember your audience and serve them
first.

> Do you want to define a standard system or a minimal system? I think you
> can
> define a minimal one (with vi, lynx, and no graphical environment), but
> there are
> as many standards as users. And, as you say, it's why task packages are
> for.

'Standard', as in priority standard.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org