Re: Which task package installs gpm?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:20:54PM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 12:14:10AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > Well, I don't even have a handle on what is marked standard any more.
> > But it feels to me like adding -s is the right thing to do.
>
> There's a whole lot of servers (telnetd, ftpd, nfs-server) that are
> standard that most people won't install (or will install different
> versions of.) I don't think they're good to install by default without
> big warnings. (I've long considered trying to root the tamogachi server
> that was a part of Slink games task. I figure there were probably quite
> a few systems out there unknowingly running that demon on their box.)

then IMO these should have thier priority downgraded.  iirc priority
standard means any tool that a average unix geek will say `what the
fsck where is foo' if missing.

i don't think nfs servers fall into that catagory.  ftpd and telnetd
perhaps used to, but anymore a reasonable unix admin will say `what
the fsck is telnetd doing on this box it should be ssh!'

of course i tend to say `what the fsck where is emacs' when i find it
missing so let the flam^H^H^H^Hdebate begin ;-)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/