Re: IMAPD

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Branden Robinson wrote:

> If it looks like negotiations with UW are at a complete standstill, and
> that they will threaten or sue anyone who distributes modified versions
> without execution of a separate license, then someone needs to file a bug
> against "ftp.debian.org" requesting the removal of the package (or its
> migration to non-free, if it is still maintainable under such a
> restriction).  Best to coordinate with the package maintainer on this.

As far as the current imap is concerned, UW has explicitly granted Debian
permission to distribute a modified version.  It's a little ambiguous and
Raul had no luck in getting a clarification, but it is probably enough to
put the package in non-free at least.  However they also said a licensing
change was imminent which would be "more to your liking".  Again not much
in the way of details, but if as I suspect this has something to do with
the release of imap 2000, it should be very soon.  I suggest setting a
deadline of say a month and if it hasn't changed by then, move it to
non-free.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@deian.org>