Re: [ot] <rant>grub is great!</rant> (was Re: woody Debian Installer plans)

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 11:18:51PM +0200, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 07:56:33PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > but it's so much nicer (in fact) that I no longer install lilo on any
> > system where I can replace it with Grub.  Maybe lilo should be kept around
> > for weird hardware that Grub doesn't support (is there any such hardware?),
> > but Grub is really very superior in terms of interface and capabilities --
> > especially
> >
> grub is g-r-e-a-t, even if i could not figure out how to use the password
> command.  it doesn't make sense to me. what if i want to protect my linux
> from other users?  have i to write a new some_config.lst in order to ask a
> password before starting loading linux kernel? hmmm... i hope the will
> actively work on it.

This is just a good example how an active developement can cause surprises to
the better.. when i first installed grub, i couldn't find a password command
(actually i was wondering about it just the other day..) and now i see there is
one.

> > system, you can use the Grub command line to fix your problem.  Being able
> > to type:
> >
> >   root (hd0,1) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16 boot
> >
> >   and boot with your former kernel saves a LOT of fooling around with
> >   special bootdisks.
> >
> oh, yes. i love that just-in-time recover that saves you lots of reboots,
> looking for the bootdisk somewhere-that-you-will-never-find and
> doing-on-the-fly new boot disks on *damaged* media that won't never boot your
> machine again.

i solved this one by just making a bootdisk with grub on it.. i use it to fix Windows, Linux the few hurd boxes i have installed... (do that with a normal bootdisk.. =)

> >   And did I mention that it's really nice? :)
> no, you didn't :)

i think we made our point here.. YES it is great.

--
get a life, get the second one free...