Re: kernel BUG [Was: Re: rm and ls don't work for large files]
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: Re: kernel BUG [Was: Re: rm and ls don't work for large files]
- From: Jason Hansen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:04:34 -0600
- Message-id: <20000913200434.B16295@xmission.com>
- Reply-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <20000829083933.B5631@murphy.nl>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:39:33AM +0200
- References: <20000823123833.F1921@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de> <email@example.com> <20000825115555.L1921@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <200008251956.MAA03868@pizda.ninka.net> <20000828145201.A12468@murphy.nl> <20000828193431.P1921@ipe.uni-stuttgart.de> <20000829083933.B5631@murphy.nl>
On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 08:39:33AM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Mon 28 Aug 2000, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2000 at 02:52:01PM +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > > The problem here, as I mentioned in an earlier reply before this got
> > > crossposted to l-k, is that "our" version of libc is the one released
> > > with debian 2.2 potato, i.e. one that's intended for use with 2.2
> > > kernels. AFAIK 2.2 kernels don't have any lstat64.
> > Ok, but someone will want to use larger files, be it with a patch to 2.2 or
> > with a 2.4 kernel. Do we need to release a special libc version for those?
> Good question :-) I have no idea. I would hope that the latest
> glibc checks whether lstat64 & friends are available, and if not,
> falls back to the 32-bit versions. Maybe someone who's intimate
> with the glibc details can enlighten us?
> [ more good questions snipped ]
I've been trying to get LFS to work with 2.2.16. And so far, I've had no
luck. I've used the patches against 2.2.16, found at
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/lfs/lfs-1.2.0.tar.gz which applied cleanly.
After building the kernel, and a reboot. I recompiled the libc6 (2.1.3-13)
deb with LINUX_SOURCE set to the location of the patched kernel tree. After
installing the fresh .deb's and another reboot, I attempted to recompile
fileutils (4.0l-8)... However, fileutils configure script does not detect
'large file support.' The relevant lines from the configure script output
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS... 64
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE... no
checking for _LARGE_FILES... no
Does anyone have LFS working on a potato installation?
Jason Hansen firstname.lastname@example.org
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to email@example.com
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org