RE: Python 1.6 released and GPL incompatible

> 1) Ignore Python 1.6 and up, as long as the license is not compatible
>    with the GPL. That's probably the easiest way to go, but is it
>    justified ? Looks like a deliberate discrimination against a
>    DFSG-free license, only because it's not GPL compatible.
>
> 2) Include both Python 1.5.2 and 1.6 in woody/main. The 1.6 packages
>    would not satisfy the dependencies of existing packages; any maintainer
>    who'd make a package depend on Python 1.6 would have to make sure that
>    its license is compatible with the Python 1.6 license.

I think that we are going to see more and more cases of GPL "incompatibilities"
as time goes on.  I am disappointed that RMS is fighting over something as
trivial as a company asking that legal issues be settled in their home state
(country).  This is common practice.

Anyways, back to the issue at hand.  What are the chances that ignoring 1.6 for
say, 3 months will result in a 2.0 that we can actually use?  Python 1.5 is
solid and usable, 1.6 is not going to change anything that drastically.
Chances are that we won't freeze before then, so you could work out with the
rest of the python packagers a coordinated upload.  You will likely have to
support python 1.5 thru this release and drop it for the next, so adding yet
another version would not be too healthy.