Re: RFC: GUI tools for common Debian admin tasks

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 06:24:28PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:

> So I drew the conclusion that what Debian needs for those users is simple
> GUI tools. [some will respond here with "we don't want those users" and I
> won't agree. This flamewar already happened. GUI tools doesn't mean you
> have to use them. blah blah blah.]

Warning: this is anecdotal.  It's not a powerful logical argument.

Beware.  GUI admin tools are often written badly, they often fail to take
into account every possible configuration and break strangely when
invoked with a configuration they don't understand.  They often have
bugs, they often fail to give reliable or sensible error or status
messages.  In short, they often make the OS appear worse than it is:
Redhat has a family of Tk GUI tools which, sometimes, exemplify this
problem.

will make them as robust and complete as the commandline ones.  It is
not easy.

Jules