Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

    Arthur> apt-move uses rsync to update it's Packages, and it's a
    Arthur> real improvement over the sledgehammer method.

Correction: "apt-move [potato version] uses rsync to update it's
Packages [...]".

As of woody, this is no longer true.

[556] [snoopy:bam] ~ >cat /usr/doc/apt-move/README
[...]
Another major change is the removal of all references to rsync.  The reason
for this is that all retrievals should be done through apt in order to minimise
the duplication of code.  As a consequence this, you can now mirror all
(or a subset) of your ``sources.list'' sites.  The result will be merged under
a single dist tree as if they originated from one site.
[...]

Seems like, to me at least, apt should really support rsync...

For me, it seems like the best choice of protocol depends
on the file:

Packages - rsync.
*.deb    - http, as a http caching server can be used.

which is oversimplified to some degree because it doesn't allow
caching the Packages file (eg if updating many computers on the one
network). At least you only need to download the modified parts.

Comments?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>