Re: My recent bug's and continuing effort to debconf-ize Debian

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 11:34:44AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > But then it might interrupt the installation process.  Just as debconf
> > asks all of the preinst questions before any of the packages have
> > started unpacking, it would be nice to be able to defer any questions
> > that *have* to wait for the postinst until the very end, when all of
> > the packages have been installed.
>
> a) choose non-interactive and no debconf questions get asked.  You can
> dpkg-reconfigure any package you need to
> [...]

No, this isn't what I was talking about.  There was a discussion
recently (should I try to track down the message numbers?) about some
packages which could not use the debconf database setup, for example
because the answers were too sensitive (passwords).  For these, the
only option was to use interactive questions during the postinst.

What I am asking is whether we can devise a way to handle these
special cases, by allowing these interactive questions to all be
handled at the end.  I don't know whether there is any way to get rid
of them entirely; we should look back at the above-mentioned thread to
answer that one.

   Julian