Re: why apt/dpkg not using bzip2

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000, David Starner wrote:

> > It's about 25% can be saved in download.

> Standards reasons - gzip is essential: yes on Debian, and is required for dpkg
> anyway. bzip2 is still priority optional, and it hasn't gained enough usage
> through other channels to be raised to standard.

For the packages file it's easy: Just put a bzip2 file next to the gzip
one, make apt use the bzip2 one if bzip2 is installed (with an option to
configure it off) and make apt suggest bzip2.

The packages file is the smallest part of the downloads -- What about the
debs?

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1