Re: Free Pine?

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 01:26:53PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > First of all, by this message you have our permission to distribute a
> > modified version of IMAPD.
>
> That to me says Debian has permission to re-distribute our modified
> version, but that people who recieve it from us do not, unless they too
> ask permission ("We do expect and appreciate..."). Non-free.

Right, it fails DFSG 7.  Anthony Towns and Raul Miller don't seem too
concerned about it (see their followups to my -legal message of August
23rd), however.

> If she had written just "We appreciate..." I'd be comfortable putting it
> in free.

Yes, as I said in that same message, they really are quite close to a
DFSG-free license.  The trouble is, they don't appear to know it.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    A committee is a life form with six or
Debian GNU/Linux                |    more legs and no brain.