Re: Machine-specific optimizations

Arthur Korn <arthur@korn.ch> writes:

> Is there a convenient way to put a package on hold? I couldn't

     Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> included the following in a
message dated Tue, 4 Apr 2000 10:43:53 +1000:

>  #! /bin/bash
>
>  # dpkg-hold  --  command line tool to flag package(s) as held.
>  #
>  # by Craig Sanders, 1998-10-26.  This script is hereby placed into the
>  # public domain.
>  #
>  # BUGS: this script has absolutely no error checking.  this is not good.
>
>  if [ -z "$*" ] ; then
>      echo "Usage:"
>      echo "      dpkg-hold <package...>"
>      exit 1
>  fi
>
>  for i in $@ ; do
>      echo "$i    hold"
>  done | dpkg --set-selections

     Despite the disclaimer about error checking, I have had good
results with it.  I have also reversed it to make dpkg-unhold.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard      <hilliard@debian.org>