Re: imap mailbox killer

At 08:21 AM 8/31/00 -0400, Richard A Nelson wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

> There might be bug in either Pine or IMAP(D) or both.

Both... I had to manually delete several messages in Pine 4.21 folders
and I don't use IMAP

I don't use pine or imap, but the school hosting my mailbox uses imap.

The behavior I saw:

Using POP to copy new mail to my workstation at work (running Eudora) seemed to cause ipop3d to crash without properly cleaning up -- $MAIL.lock still around, messages not marked as old, etc. Telnetting in, and mucking around in $MAIL by hand revealed the messages preceeded by nulls. Elm read the mailbox fine, but treated the messages preceeded by nulls as continuations of the previous messages. Eudora, getting the messages from POP3, also read the messages fine, but again with the broken messages tacked on to the preceeding messages. Manually deleting the nulls wasn't a reliable way to fix the problem.

My school uses imap, but I didn't -directly- invoke it in this process. It may have been invoked by their mailer behind the scenes, though.