Re: (Beware helix packages) Re: [CrackMonkey] The right to bare legs

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 01:28:18AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:12:56PM -0700, Ryan Murray wrote:
> > stable Debian releases only have security changes and critical bugfixes going
> > into them once released.  I feel that the security/bugfix is more important
> > than any of the "extras" offered in the Stormix packages, so your suggestion
> > means that the security upgrades won't be available to the users ASAP, and
> > must rather wait for Stormix to build a new version with the fixes.  I think
> > this removes a very powerful benefit to using Debian, and wouldn't want to
> > see users robbed of it.  Your definition of "right" seems to break this.
> > If you have a suggestion that solves this problem, and doesn't require the
> > current -#.storm# or something of that nature, I'd love to hear it.
>
> I don't think 3rd party vendors can have it both ways.  If they want to
> lock their users into, for example, the "Official Helix(tm) Debian
> Packages", then they have to accept the responsibility for getting out
> security releases in a timely manner.
>
> If you want to take advantage of timely security updates by Debian, then
> you need to play nice with us and not try to break our versioning system.

Which is what a -#.storm# does exactly.  I don't want to "lock" users into
anything.  Being able to upgrade to woody is something I think is a good
thing.

I agree, however, that just a -storm does not play nicely with the versioning
system, and in those cases, it would be up to Storm to provide any security
updates.  From a quick look through the archive, the only package that seems
to do this is gdm, of which I maintain both Storm's and Debian's, which is
why I chose that for the case...

I hardly see how this is "not doing it right," as you said.

--
Ryan Murray, (rmurray@cyberhqz.com, rmurray@debian.org, rmurray@stormix.com)
Programmer, Stormix Technologies Inc., Debian Developer