Re: (Beware helix packages) Re: [CrackMonkey] The right to bare legs

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:12:56PM -0700, Ryan Murray wrote:
> stable Debian releases only have security changes and critical bugfixes going
> into them once released.  I feel that the security/bugfix is more important
> than any of the "extras" offered in the Stormix packages, so your suggestion
> means that the security upgrades won't be available to the users ASAP, and
> must rather wait for Stormix to build a new version with the fixes.  I think
> this removes a very powerful benefit to using Debian, and wouldn't want to
> see users robbed of it.  Your definition of "right" seems to break this.
> If you have a suggestion that solves this problem, and doesn't require the
> current -#.storm# or something of that nature, I'd love to hear it.

I don't think 3rd party vendors can have it both ways.  If they want to
lock their users into, for example, the "Official Helix(tm) Debian
Packages", then they have to accept the responsibility for getting out
security releases in a timely manner.

If you want to take advantage of timely security updates by Debian, then
you need to play nice with us and not try to break our versioning system.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    You should try building some of the
Debian GNU/Linux                |    stuff in main that is modern...turning