Re: Braille devices (the problem was DOSemu)

Hi all,
In my specific case where I wasn't able to run a Alva ABT280, this was the
hardware problem + this should be the solution:
- the problem: the DB9 connector on the rear panel didn't have the function
of serial connection for the device; so the only way for the ABT280 was
the parallel port. (No spex from factory, as Nicolas Pitre explained).
But Dosgate, see http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zinie/dosgate uses DOSemu, and
DOSEMU IS NOT IMPLEMENTED FOR PARALLEL PORT.
- The solution was/is: the implementation of DOSemu so that I was able to
run C:\ABT280.EXE 1 (corresponds to lpt1) and that's all,
then returning to Linux.

Project:
it is not promised to me, but I will ask again for confirmation: a student
of the KU-Leuven should start the DOSemu implementation, but not before
November......... During this time, I must try a non-braille solution:
Screader + Festival fails.
I do also had contact with the developer of Speakup
(http://www.linux-speakup.org) for developing his screen reader for usage
in combi with software-speech (Mbrola, TuxTalk, not Festival: too
big/slow/75 % of processor usage for him).

--I'm not on this list, for reactions send it in CC to my address:
olr@xs4all.be or mail@audiobraille.org

Grtnx, Osvaldo La Rosa

---In answer to your session:---
On 2000-08-19 nico@cam.org said:
   >cc: VZW AUDIO/BRAILLE <olr@xs4all.be>, debian-devel@lists.debian.
   >org,
   >> [CCed to linux-kernel, as IMO the best idea would be to implement
   >>this at   kernel level]
   >> On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, VZW AUDIO/BRAILLE wrote:
   >> > Hi, I have on one pc the very great chance to use Debian 2.1
   >>with a  > hardware braille-display. But actually on another pc I'm
   >>suffering from  > the refusal of my old braille display (not
   >>brltty supported) to let  > me work under Deb. So on pc1 I've a
   >>great pleasure to work, on another  > nothing more than
   >frustration! >
   >> [...]
   >> I've seen the request for braille device support during
   >>installation here  on debian-devel for many times, and IMO the
   >>best approach would be to  support these devices at kernel level.
   >>The reason for this is that a  daemon approach would compromise
   >>system security, as some (luckily not too  many) braille devices
   >>have special interface cards which require hardware  access. Also,
   >>a daemon has to be started in order to be useful, so that  you
   >cannot see anything if the boot fails. >
   >> Comments?
   >First, let me say that I'm actually the maintainer of BRLTTY
   >(http://www.cam.org/~nico/brltty) and used it most everyday on
   >Linux for nearly six years now.  I would like to take this
   >opportunity to answer some questions and kill some common myths
   >that I keep encountering over and over.  All this rambling also
   >applies to other packages similar to BRLTTY...
   >Braille Display Support
   >-----------------------
   >BRLTTY is quite modular and actually support over 10 different
   >brands of braille display families.  Adding another is just a
   >matter of having the protocol specification from the manufacturer
   >(you know the classic problem?) and someone to implement it.  So
   >the user space vs kernel space argument is a non-issue for "my
   >display isn't supported" statements. The scarce braille displays
   >requireing a special interface card are mostly using firmware on
   >the card that emulates a VGA text display, or that retrieve data
   >directly from the video memory of your VGA card, in order to send
   >it directly to the braille display thus not relying on software
   >support at all.  In the case where kernel support is absolutely
   >required, only the raw low-level communication support must be in
   >the kernel, nothing more. System Security
   >BRLTTY only requires access to /dev/vcsa0, /dev/tty0 and /dev/ttyS0.
   >It is intended to be used by the person at the console only and
   >that person usually has root access.  If you don't want to run
   >BRLTTY as root, you just have to adjust permissions on the above
   >devices. Braille-Enabled Linux Installation
   >The fastest and easiest way to have Linux installed for a blind
   >person might still consist of a sighted person assisting the
> [...]

--tcpsmtp080200200010026006