Braille devices

[CCed to linux-kernel, as IMO the best idea would be to implement this at
 kernel level]

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, VZW AUDIO/BRAILLE wrote:

> Hi, I have on one pc the very great chance to use Debian 2.1 with a
> hardware braille-display. But actually on another pc I'm suffering from
> the refusal of my old braille display (not brltty supported) to let
> me work under Deb. So on pc1 I've a great pleasure to work, on another
> nothing more than frustration!

[...]

I've seen the request for braille device support during installation here
on debian-devel for many times, and IMO the best approach would be to
support these devices at kernel level. The reason for this is that a
daemon approach would compromise system security, as some (luckily not too
many) braille devices have special interface cards which require hardware
access. Also, a daemon has to be started in order to be useful, so that
you cannot see anything if the boot fails.

Comments?

   Simon

--
PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1