Re: [Possibly Clueless] Deb base ISO images

On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 02:26:33PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> Hi, to all, and congrats on the potato release.
>
> I've been browsing cdimage. Do we release a base system as a 30/40-ish meg
> ISO that can network to enable apt handling retrieval of anything else? One
> would be really useful to me, and I'm sure to others too. The base packages
> (for floppies etc) aren't always so easy or convienient, and I think an ISO
> image would be a really good way to show the power of apt-get etc.
>
> I'll stop here, in case I'm being totally redundant or Just Plain Wrong.
> Please let me know either way. If there isn't such an image available, why
> was it decided against?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I will point out that
given a machine with a 'standard' ethernet card, and 'standard' disks,
you can install off two disks (rescue and root from the
images-1.44/compact directory), if you have ethernet access to a mirror.

I don't know enough about CD building to know how hard it is to build
cut-down bootable CDs.

Jules