I propose gazillion packages (LONG)

First I'd like to tell, that I don't subscribe to debian-devel, but I can
read its archives from WWW. And I am not a Debian developer.

I propose these packages to be added to Debian GNU/Linux. I have proposed them
once before, but they are not yet added.

**************************************

Varkon:

Personally I do not use CAD-software, but this is so ueber-cool thing that
I just can't help informing you all about this:

A CAD-software called Varkon is now available under the terms of GNU GPL.
It would be nice to make it available as Debian-pacakge.

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/3841.html

http://www.varkon.com/

Somebody was packaging this package, but haven't heard about it then.

 * * *

http://www.electriceditor.com/

The Electric VLSI Design System is a complete Electronic Design Automation
(EDA) system that has a long history. Electric can handle many forms of
circuit design. And now it is under the terms of GNU GPL! I don't think,
that I would need this program, but others might be very interested.

* * *

This company called BeOpen has some cool free pieces of software for
programming. And they seems to be GPL'ed

http://www.BeOpen.com/

OO-Browser is already packaged, but not that InfoDock. I'd like to use them,
when I learn more programming. AFAIK If you download InfoDock, it has
OO-Browser and Hyperbole included. And if you download OO-Browser, it has
Hyperbole included.

 * * *

http://www.wwdsi.com/saint/index.html

Saint has been developed from SATAN. It seems, that it is not free software.
But feel free to debate about it in a mailing-list called debian-legal.
I use this software myself, and I really like it.

 * * *

COPS - security tools for unix. Available in many security-related
ftp-sites, for example:

http://www.fish.com/cops/

 * * *

Titan:

http://www.fish.com/titan/

Security analysis program.

 * * *

The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT):

http://www.fish.com/tct/

The Coroner's Toolkit (TCT) is a collection of tools that are either oriented
towards gathering or analyzing forensic data on a Unix system.

 * * *

Here is some other security tools, you might be interested:

http://freshmeat.net/appindex/console/firewall-and-security.html

http://www.opensec.net/

http://www.cert.org/other_sources/tool_sources.html

 * * *

WCD:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~waterlan/

KCD:

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~lerdsuwa/util/kcd.html

They are both Norton Chance Directory-clones and licenced under GNU GPL.
I use them both myself and can't decide, which one to choose.

 * * *

NDIR:

http://www.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE/~mw/software/ndir.html

Extended and advanced ls-replacement. Not unlike already-packaged limo.
I use them both myself and can't decide, which one to choose.

 * * *

XMLTerm

http://xmlterm.com/

XMLterm - A graphical command line interface. If you don't understand, check
out those screenshots.

 * * *

rpl:

http://www.laffeycomputer.com/rpl.html

rpl is a UN*X text replacement utility. It will replace strings with new
strings in multiple text files. It can scan directories recursively and replace
strings in all files found.

I use this software myself, and I really like it.

 * * *

http://www.cpt.univ-mrs.fr/~penne/Zsid/

Yes, we have that xsidplay, but it uses qt-libraries, and therefore it is
not in main-directory. Zsid is under GNU GPL. I would actually use this
program.

 * * *

gASQL:

http://malerba.linuxave.net/

Gnome-front-end for PostgreSQL. GPL'd.

 * * *

Gnome-db:

http://www.gnome.org/gnome-db/

Needed by gASQL.

 * * *

Who's Afraid of C++? - the WWW version

http://www.steveheller.com/whos/

Review on Slashdot:

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/09/2153222&mode=thread

Other On-Line Books of Steve heller:

http://www.steveheller.com/

But I can't find any licence information.

 * * *

Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling (TCM)

http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/index.html

A little bit like Gnome DIA. Can be used as CASE-tool.

 * * *

Cacheprof

http://www.cacheprof.org/

 * * *

asp2php

http://asp2php.naken.cc/

Convert asp to php.

Licence: GPL

 * * *

GVD, the GNU Visual Debugger

http://gtkada.eu.org/gvd/gvd.html

 * * *

UNIX Bourne Shell Programming

http://www.torget.se/users/d/Devlin/shell/index.html
http://www.torget.se/users/d/Devlin/shell/shell.zip

 * * *

Open Inventor

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/inventor/

"Open InventorTM is an object-oriented 3D toolkit offering a comprehensive
solution to interactive graphics programming problems. It presents a
programming model based on a 3D scene database that dramatically simplifies
graphics programming. It includes a rich set of objects such as cubes,
polygons, text, materials, cameras, lights, trackballs, handle boxes, 3D
viewers, and editors that speed up your programming time and extend your 3D
programming capabilities."

Licence: GNU LGPL.

 * * *

OpenSource-programs of Applix Inc.

Linux Palm Desktop
Applix SHELF
Linux Stoctracker

http://www.applixware.org/Download.cfm

http://www.applixware.org/

Linux Palm Desktops is software for communicating between Linux-box and
3Com Palm-computer.

SHELF is free stand-alone-implementation of Applix ELF (Extension Language
Facility).

Stocktracker tracks stock prices, I think.

BTW, SHELF is compiled with amake, the proprietary compiling system.
They will pay very well for that person, who makes it to use GNU make,
autoconf, automake etc.

 * * *

si:

http://siv.sourceforge.net/

Reads insane amount of information from /proc-directory as input and outputs
system information in human-readable format according to that information.
I use this software myself and like it very much.

 * * *

Heretic:

http://samuel.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~wertmann/index.html

Sources of this famous Doom-clone were released some time ago, and Linux port
made of it is now in version one-point-oh.

 * * *

AIDE:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~rammer/aide.html

It seems, that this would be better Tripwire-clone than Sentinel.
Licenced under GPL. Tripwire will become free software very soon, though.

 * * *

XITE:

http://www.ifi.uio.no/~blab/Software/Xite/

Some other drawing program. Very much features, but not as famous as Gimp.

 * * *

boxes:

http://www6.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~tsjensen/boxes/

Adds any kind of ASCII-boxes (including C/C++-comments) around text-input.
Licenced under GPL. I'd like to use this.

 * * *

QuickList:

http://www.quicklist.org/

Tiny little databse program for situations, where SQL engines are too much.
If you liked the Appleworks or Microsoft Works databases, you will like
QuickList. QuickList means for database user as much Ted means for
wordprocessor users. Licenced under GPL.

 * * *

SARA:

http://home.arc.com/sara/index.html

SATAN/SAINT-clone except with a little bit different approach.

Authors of SARA seems to have some other security-related tools, too:

http://home.arc.com/se.html

But I am not very sure, if their software is free at all.

 * * *

Heroine Virtual-products:

http://heroine.linuxbox.com/

including:

XMovie

Broadcast 2000

Quicktime4linux

Video editing and viewing tools and library for them. Licencing information
found in docs follows:

Quicktime4linux:

This is a Quicktime library for UNIX in a freely redistributable,
statically linkable library.  You can statically link it in a program
and charge money for the program.  The only condition is that if you
use it in a program, you must put the author's name and email
somewhere.  If you improve the library itself or add a free codec to
it, you should release your improvements.  If you redistribute the
code, you must also redistribute the author information and
documentation.  At this time it's very popular to license stuff under
the GPL.  You are free to include this library in a derived work and
license the derived work under GPL.

XMovie:

The official license for this software is currently GPL, although you
have permission to link commercial codecs and use snippets of code from
this package in a commercial product.  Why you'd want to use code from
an unemployed programmer is entirely up to you.  By commercial I mean
stuff which was financed by debt or vapor capitol.  There is no
warranty, not even the implication of fitness for a particular purpose.

Broadcast 2000:

Currently Broadcast 2000 is commercially licensed.  Although we want to
get Broadcast 2000 under the GPL so you can have some source code to
compile, the licensing depends on how we decide to pay the loans which
financed it.

 * * *

Radiance:

http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/HOME.html

Some big 3D-software. Has its own licence.

 * * *

KIM

http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/kim/

ncurses-based interactive process-management-tool. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

TkWho

http://pel.cs.byu.edu/~alen/computers/TkWho/

Tk-version of who-command. Very useful addition to [x|g|k|w]dm, so people
won't shutdown workstation having some users logged in.

 * * *

XPS:

http://www.netwinder.org/~rocky/xps-home/

Graphical process-tree-management-program. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

TreePs

http://www.slip.net/~gmd/tps/treeps.htm

Just like xps, but seems to have more bells and whistles. I'd like to use them
both.

 * * *

SmartBee

http://smartbee.org/

Very portable fortune-program. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

asmutils

http://lightning.voshod.com/asm/asmutils.html

Many utils of Linux ported to intel 80x86 assembler. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

gbase

http://www.hibernaculum.demon.co.uk/

GBase is a GTK program designed to convert between the four common bases
used in programming (decimal, hexadecimal, octal and binary). It converts
numbers on-the-fly as they are typed in. I use this software myself.

Licenced under Artistic Licence.

 * * *

ImPress

http://www.ntlug.org/~ccox/impress/index.html

ImPressTM  is a WYSIWYG layout program designed especially for Linux.  It
allows you to create presentations and Postscript documents using fully
scalable graphics similar to programs like Macromedia Freehand, Corel Draw,
Adobe Illustrator and Visio.

 * * *

Dead Link Check

http://www.loria.fr/~michel/DLC/

Dead link checker for Netscape Bookmarks. Can be used with Public Bookmark
Generator or with itself. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

Public Bookmark Generator

http://www.loria.fr/~michel/PBM/

Generates tree-like link-list of Netscape Bookmarks. Licenced under GNU GPL.

 * * *

Gimp Clickable Imagemap Plug-in

http://home-2.consunet.nl/~cb007736/imagemap.html

It is possible, that this plugin is part of Gimp 1.1.

 * * *

ControlFreak

http://controlFreak.sourceforge.net/

Very configurable launcher panel.

 * * *

Reed:

http://www.sacredchao.net/software/reed/

Autoscrolling text-reader. I use this myself and I like it.

 * * *

Sysstat:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sebastien.godard/

The sysstat package contains the sar and iostat commands for Linux. The sar
command collects and reports system activity information. This information can
also be saved in a system activity file for future inspection. The iostat
command reports CPU statistics and I/O statistics for tty devices and disks.
The statistics reported by sar concern I/O transfer rates, paging activity,
process-related activites, interrupts, network activity, memory and swap space
utilization, CPU utilization, kernel activities and TTY statistics, among
others. Both UP and SMP machines are fully supported.

 * * *

ncps:

http://www.columbia.edu/~pc171/ncps.html

curses-based process-viewer

 * * *

Wv library:

http://www.wvWare.com/

Derived from mswordview

 * * *

xls2xml:

http://arturo.directmail.org/filtersweb/#xls2xml

xls2xml is a free filter from Microsoft Excel to XML, and a free C library.
Licence: GPL.

 * * *

Artistic Style:

http://astyle.sourceforge.net/

A Free, Fast and Small Automatic Indentation Filter for C , C++ , Java Source
Codes. Artistic Style may be used and  distributed under EITHER the Artistic
License or the GNU General Public License (GPL).

 * * *

dehtml:

http://www.moria.de/~michael/dehtml/

Dehtml removes HTML constructs from documents for indexing, spell checking and
so on. I use this very much and like it.

 * * *

deroff:

http://www.moria.de/~michael/deroff/

This is from the maker of dehtml. Deroff removes roff constructs from
documents for the purpose of indexing, spell checking etc. I don't use this
at all.

 * * *

Flying Windows:

http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/flyingwindows/

xscreensaver compatible screensaver. I use this and like it.

 * * *

hinv:

http://reality.sgi.com/raju/software.html

lhinv:

http://lhinv.sourceforge.net/

Implementations of hinv (Hardware Inventory) for Linux. A command called hinv
exists in IRIX and AFAIK in AIX, too.

 * * *

xproc:

Graphical tool that examines /proc.

 * * *

mp3_check:

http://mp3check.sourceforge.net/

mp3check:

http://programmierer.freepage.de/overmann/

Tools for analyzing condition of MP3-files. I like and use that second program,
because it can cut junk-start and junk-end.

 * * *

xdiskusage:

http://www.cinenet.net/~spitzak/xdiskusage/index.html

Graphical equivalent of du. Licence: GPL.

 * * *

pip:

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~epa98/work/apps/pip/

Makes any program to able to use pipes. Some programs (often those from a
non-Unix background) don't read input from stdin, nor write to stdout.
Instead, they make you specify an 'input file' and an 'output file' on the
command line. At least most Unix programs that do this let you use the special
filename '-' to mean stdin or stdout, but there are some programs that don't
recognize this convention.

pip is fairly general and works for 90% of the annoying DOSish
programs out there, but it won't handle more complex programs like TeX
that generate multiple output files. The separate program pip_latex
wraps latex, turning it into a filter that reads LaTeX source from
stdin and writes a DVI file to stdout.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * * U of Jyväskylä * * juhtolv@st.jyu.fi
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/index.html * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!"