Re: build dependencies

bug1 wrote:

> It would be cool if packages had better support for build dependencies
> so its easier/more reliable to build from source.

Something like this?

Source: gri
Section: math
Maintainer: Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>
Build-Depends: debhelper, netcdfg-dev, tetex-bin, texinfo
Build-Depends-Indep: debhelper, tetex-bin, texinfo, imagemagick, info, gs, gsfon
ts
Standards-Version: 3.1.1

> There would probably have to be a set of source base packages defined
> somewhere that are required as a base for building, but not a base for
> regular usage as base is currently defined.

Something like this?

http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/devel/build-essential.html

> Better support for building from source could be very handy as the
> number of architectures increases.
> Maybe we could even have support in the installer to build from source,

Something like this?

# apt-get source --compile gri

Or have I missed something?

Peter